Thursday, September 13, 2012

Using but in a sentence

But is a conjunction. It joins two sentences
To begin a sentence with but is grammatically wrong.
Here are some nice proverbs that use BUT

  • Do not look where you fell BUT where you slipped
  • Don't make love at the garden gate, love is blind BUT neighbours aren't!
  • Everybody wants heaven BUT nobody wants to die.
  • It's nice to be important BUT it's more important to be nice.
  • It's only rock 'n' roll BUT I like it
But that does not mean I cannot begin with a BUT! Many writers have cheerfully ignored such rules!

Going strictly by rules of grammar it is not correct to say
But I do not have the patience ...
But I am scared of technology ...
But it is boring to sit and prepare a speech ...
But I am always harsh and curt ...

On the other hand, the right thing is to say is this.
I do not have the patience, but ...
I am scared of technology, but ...
It is boring to sit and prepare a speech, but ...
I am always harsh and curt, but ...
Hey, come to think of it, the conjunction BUT joins two sentences
and minds
and hearts
wow!
---------------------
Miracle in my kitchen
---------------------

1 comment:

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.